Crispy Panko-Topped Onions
2 points plus
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 4 medium uncooked onion(s), peeled, cut in half
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground, divided
- 3/4 cup(s) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 9- X 13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray (or just coat a nonstick baking pan with cooking spray).
Coat cut-sides of onions with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place onions, cut-side down, on prepared baking pan. Coat with more cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake until onions are light golden and slightly softened, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine panko, butter, thyme, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Remove onions from oven and turn over; sprinkle evenly with crumbs. Bake until onions are tender and crumbs are golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Yields half an onion and about 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbs per serving.