- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion - (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree - (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato paste - (6 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt as needed
- Freshly-ground black pepper as needed
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces creamy goat cheese - (to 4) crumbled
- 1 cup grated Parmesan plus
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in a large (10- to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9- by 12- by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.
This recipe yields 8 servings.