- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa (I used Hershey’s special dark)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coconut flavoring
- 1 cup coconut, packed
- 1 (scant) cup boiling water
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel topping, plus more for drizzling (I used butterscotch caramel)
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s special dark)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Add in eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and coconut flavoring. Mix well.
4. Fold in coconut, then add boiling water. (Batter will be very thin)
5. Pour batter into muffin tins, filling each cup no more than 3/4 full. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for several minutes, but then remove cupcakes from tins on cool on a wire rack.
For the Frosting
1. Cream butter until fluffy.
2. Add in vanilla extract and caramel topping. Add powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth. If icing is still too thin add a bit more powdered sugar (the consistency differs based on the type of caramel topping you use)
3. Wait until cupcakes are completely cool, and use a pastry bag with a 1M tip to ice the cupcakes.
For the Chocolate Syrup
1. Combine all ingredients except vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium-heat, and whisk until smooth.
2. Bring sauce to a boil and continue to whisk until sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and drizzle over cupcakes or store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.
To Finish: Top cupcakes with toasted coconut and using small squeeze bottles (or simply a spoon) drizzle with chocolate sauce and remaining caramel sauce.