Flank Steak with Roasted Endive, Spring Onion Agrodolce, and Arugula
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces steak, about 1 cup salad, 3 endive halves, and about 5 tablespoons onion mixture)
13 points plus
Saturated fat: 4.3g
Monounsaturated fat: 12.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- 1/2 cup honey
- 12 ounces spring onions, trimmed and quartered $
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided $
- 6 heads Belgian endive (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided $
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, halved crosswise
- 6 cups arugula leaves (about 4 ounces) $
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil $
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice $
1. Place honey in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Add onions to pan; stir to combine. Stir in vinegar; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until onions are tender. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until syrupy.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Heat an ovenproof grill pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat. Sprinkle endive evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add endive, cut sides down, to pan. Cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Turn endive; place pan in oven. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until endive is tender. Remove endive from oven; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean.
4. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon oregano, and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle beef evenly with oregano mixture. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting across the grain into thin slices.
5. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oregano, arugula, oil, and juice in a medium bowl; toss gently. Serve steak with endive and arugula salad; top steak with onion mixture.