Jalapeño, Sausage, Jack, and Egg Breakfast Braid
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
7 points plus
Saturated fat: 5.1g
Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Cooking spray $
- 1 tablespoon olive oil $
- 1/4 cup chopped onion $
- 4 ounces chicken sausage with jalapeño peppers, chopped $
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten $
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese $
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño peppers
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten $
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10–inch rectangle.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until set. Remove from heat.
4. Sprinkle Monterey Jack lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle cheddar over egg mixture; top with jalapeño peppers.
5. Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Arrange strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally over filling. Press ends under to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices.