- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 ounces finely chopped prosciutto or Canadian bacon (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 medium (1-1/2-inch diameter) mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Red and/or gold sweet pepper, cut into strips or stars (optional)
- Snipped fresh tarragon or oregano (optional)
Stir together artichoke hearts, bread crumbs, the 1/2 cup cheese, prosciutto or Canadian bacon, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, tarragon, egg, and pepper.
Arrange mushroom caps in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spoon artichoke mixture into mushroom caps, mounding slightly. Top each mushroom with some of the 2 tablespoons cheese.
Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through. If desired, garnish with sweet pepper and snipped fresh tarragon or oregano. Serve warm. Makes 24 appetizers.
Prepare filling up to 8 hours ahead; cover and chill.