Autumn Apple Sauce
- 8 assorted apples (i.e., Rome, McIntosh, Royal Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, and Red Delicious)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
Adapted from epicurious.com
1. Peel, core and cut the apples into large chunks, tossing them with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
2. Place the apples and remaining ingredients in a large, heavy pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover partially and cook until apples are very tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover the pot and cook 5 minutes more.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick. Coarsely mash the apples with the cooking juices. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, covered, until ready to use, up to 5 days.