Les Halles Onion Soup
- 6 oz / 168g butter
- 8 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 oz / 56ml port
- 2 oz / 56ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 quarts / 2.2l of chicken stock
- 4 oz / 112g slab bacon cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- 16 baguette croutons (sliced and toasted in the oven with olive oil)
- Grueyere Cheese
Heat butter over medium heat until melted and begins to brown.
Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until they are soft and browned (20 mins).
Increase the heat to medium high and stir in the port and vinegar scrapping all that brown goodness from the bottom of the pot into the liquid.
Add the chicken stock.
Add the bacon and bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, cook for 45 minutes to an hour, skimming any foam off the top with a laddle. Remove the bouquet garni.
Croutons and Cheese:
Float two croutons side by side on top of each soup crock. Spread cheese over top.
Place crock under a preheated broiler until cheese bubbles.