- 3 tablespoons kosher salt plus
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 4 pounds large shrimp in the shell - (16/20 ct)
- 2 cups good mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 cup minced red onion - (1 onion)
- 3 cups minced celery - (6 stalks)
Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine or vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
This recipe yields 12 servings.