Red Lettuce With Balsamic Onions
- 3 small red onions
- 1/4 cup good balsamic vinegar plus
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots - (2 large)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 2 heads red-leaf lettuce washed, spun dry, and torn into pieces
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cut the onions in 1/2 and slice 1/4-inch thick, place on a baking sheet and toss with: 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are tender.
Remove from oven and toss with 2 more tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cool to room temperature.
Whisk together the shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. While whisking, add 3/4 cup olive oil until emulsified.
To assemble, toss enough lettuce for 6 people with dressing, to taste. Place the lettuce on 6 plates and arrange the onions on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
To make ahead, mix the dressing in the bottom of the bowl and gently place the lettuce on top. Add the onions and place into the refridgerator without tossing until ready to serve. When ready, toss.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Pineapple Chicken Salad Lettuce... 4.6/5 (101 Votes)
- Mushroom Ratatouille 0/5 (0 Votes)
- The Mushroom Cocktail 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mushroom And Spinach Polenta Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato, Onion And Pea Champ 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Roast Stuffed With Spinach,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butter Lettuce With Goat Cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)