Carne Asada Tacos with Carrot-Pepper Slaw
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 Tbl. chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for topping
- 1 large white onion, cut into rings
- 1 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. sirloin steak
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and grated
- 3 Tbl. fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 12 corn tortillas
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Mix the yogurt, garlic and cilantro in a small bowl; set aside.
Toss the onion rings with the olive oil and pinch of salt. Sprinkle the steak with 1/2 tsp. salt. Lightly brush the grill with the olive oil and grill the onion and steak, turning once, until the onion is charred and the steak is cooked to medium rare, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
Make the slaw: Put the carrots and bell pepper in a medium bowl and toss with the lime juice and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel, then in plastic wrap; microwave until warm, 1 minute. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Divide the steak and onion among the tortillas; top with the slaw, yogurt sauce and more cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.