Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
from Cook's Country
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and slice 1/8 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
You do not need to grease the baking dish. You will need a 2- to 3-quart gratin dish (don't use an 8 x 8 -- it won't cook properly)
1. Combine cheeses: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Toss cheeses and cornstarch in large bowl until evenly coated.
2. Assemble gratin: Shingle half of potatoes in large gratin dish, sprinkle evenly with 1 cup cheese mixture, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Top with remaining potatoes, additional ¾ teaspoon salt, and additional ¼ teaspoon pepper.
3. Bake: Combine cream and broth in large measuring cup and pour over potatoes. Top with remaining cheese mixture and bake until golden brown and fork inserted into center meets little resistance, 75 to 90 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.