Roasted Brined Turkey
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 fresh, whole, bone-in, skin-on turkey breast (6- to 8-pounds), rinsed and prepared according to illustrations 1 and 2 below
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons at room temperature, 1 tablespoon melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock (optional)
1. Mix salt and sugar in 1 1/2 gallons cool water in large clean bucket or stockpot until completely dissolved. Set turkey breast in brine, making sure it is submerged. Cover and refrigerate 5 hours.
2 . Twenty minutes before roasting, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix room-temperature butter with pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Remove turkey breast from brine and pat dry. Prepare breast for roasting following illustrations 3 through 7.
4. Place turkey breast in oven, wide neck end toward oven rear. Pour 1/2 cup water or optional white wine or stock over pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning. Roast 15 minutes, then rotate roasting pan. Roast until skin turns golden, 15 minutes longer. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees; continue to roast breast, rotating pan once, about halfway through cooking until internal temperature in deepest part of breast registers 160 to 165 degrees (depending on preference), 30 to 45 minutes longer.
5. Remove turkey breast from oven. Let stand 20 minutes. Carve and serve.