Penne With Five Cheeses
- Kosher salt as needed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato puree
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Pecorino Romano - (1 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded imported Italian fontina - (1 1/2 oz)
- 1/4 cup crumbled Italian Gorgonzola - (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 pound imported penne rigate pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil in a stockpot.
Combine all the ingredients except the penne and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Drop the penne into the boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl, tossing to combine.
Divide the pasta mixture among 6 shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1 1/2 to 2 cups capacity). Dot with the butter and bake until bubbly and brown on top, 7 to 10 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.