Key Lime Cupcakes
- For the Lime curd:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup fresh Key Lime juice (from about 8 key limes)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbl. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. grated Key lime zest (from about 2 key limes)
- Pinch of salt
- For the cupcakes:
- 12 chocolate wafer cookies
- 12 Tbl. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated key lime zest
- 2 Tbl. fresh key lime juice (from about 4 key limes)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- For the frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbl. fresh key lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Key lime slices and grated zest, for topping
Make the lime curd: Combine the granulated sugar, egg and egg yolk, lime juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking, until thick enough to coat a spoon, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, a little at a time, until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then stir in the lime zest and salt. Set in a large bowl of ice and stir until the curd is completely cool. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface; refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Pulse the wafer cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Melt 2 Tbl. butter; add to the processor and pulse until the mixture comes together. Press about 1 Tbl. crumbs into each muffin cup.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. Combine the remaining 10 Tbl. butter and the granulated sugar in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low; beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, lime zest and juice and beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix until combined.
Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove to a rack; let cool completely.
Make the frosting: beat the butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to medium high; add the sour cream, lime juice and salt and beat until fluffy, 2 more minutes.
Place the lime curd in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch tip. Insert tip into the center of each cupcake and squeeze to fill. Frost the cupcakes, then pipe more lime curd on top. Top with lime slices and zest.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (230 Votes)
- Mediterranean Lemon Chicken 4.4/5 (170 Votes)