Sweet Potato Souffle III
A crumble topping made with butter, flour, and pecans is sprinkled over the top of sweet potatoes blended with egg, milk, sugar and vanilla in this preperation of the popular vegetable to serve with turkey.
- 15 sweet potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups melted butter
- 2-1/2 t vanilla extract
- 5 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 t salt
- 2-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup and 1 T and 1t all purpose flour
- 3/4 and 1 T and 1t melted butter
- 2-1/2 cups chopped pecans
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
1. In a large stockpot, cover sweet potatoes with 1 inch of water; boil for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain, allow to cool and remove skins.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease or butter one 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Place potatoes in a mixing bowl and with an electric mixer, beat on low speed until potatoes begin to break up. Increase speed to medium high and blend until smooth.
4. Reduce speed to low and add sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, eggs and salt. Mix well.
5. Allow any potato 'fibers' to remain on the beater and remove. Pour sweet potato mixture into casserole dish.
6. Prepare the topping in a small bowl by whisking together the brown sugar, flour, butter and pecans. Sprinkle mixture over potato mixture and bake for 40 minutes.