Cheese and Cream Baked Potatoes
- 6 lbs russet potatoes, skin on, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced into rounds
- fresh thyme
- Cheese Sauce
- 4 cups cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from heatherchristo.com
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a 9×13” pan, lay the potatoes in rounds side ways across the baking dish, until you have filled the whole pan with rows.
3. Squeeze the shallots in between the layers of potatoes with little bits of fresh thyme. Generously salt and pepper the potatoes.
4. To make the cheese sauce, pour the cream into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
5. Add the cheddar cheese and whisk until the cheese has all melted. Heavily season with nutmeg, salt and pepper (remember- the potatoes will just soak up the seasoning!)
6. Pour the cream sauce over the potatoes and then just sort of shake the pan a little so the cream sauce sinks into the dish.
7. Bake the potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour until the top is golden brown and bubbling and the potatoes are tender.
8. Serve hot!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12