In this stuffed zucchini recipe, turkey sausage and tomato are mixed with quinoa before filling the zucchini boats. Fresh marjoram lends floral notes to the quinoa-stuffing recipe, but any fresh herb will work.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 links sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quartered grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, breaking the sausage into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and marjoram.
Meanwhile, cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the bottoms so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. (Discard the pulp.) Place the zucchini in a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Cover and microwave on High until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover.
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
Transfer zucchini to a broiler-safe pan (or pans). Fill with the quinoa mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Broil on the upper rack until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
You'll also love
- Greek Salad with Feta and Tuna 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Couscous Salad with Grilled... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pork and Pink Bean Soup with Corn... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Miso Mushroom Zucchini "Ramen"... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Carrot & Zucchini Mini-Muffins 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Sausage, Cabbage & Root Vegetable... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)