Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cumin and chili powder season a filling of turkey sausage, tomatoes, black beans and Swiss cheese for creamy acorn squash. Serve this stuffed squash with warmed corn tortillas for wrapping up bites of all the tasty ingredients.
- 3 acorn squash (3/4 to 1-pound each)
- 5 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper,chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Several dashes hot red pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Cut squash in half horizontally. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place the squash cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt and hot sauce, scraping up any browned bits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the tomatoes are broken down, 10 to 12 minutes.
When the squash are tender, reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Fill the squash halves with the turkey mixture. Top with cheese. Place on the baking sheet and bake until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes:
While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (Our recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
You'll also love
- Baked Strawberry Donuts 4/5 (250 Votes)
- Snickerdoodles 4.4/5 (100 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Pork Chops 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Crock Pot Lasagna 4.5/5 (94 Votes)
- Chilli Rellenos 4.2/5 (145 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (96 Votes)
- Louisiana Hot Crab Dip 4.1/5 (166 Votes)
- Corn Bread Casserole 4.5/5 (97 Votes)