Chicago-Style Pan Pizza
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
BAKE TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 roll thin crust pizza dough
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp. minced garlic cloves
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg. pepperoni slices
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Press dough into the bottom and up sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in baking pan.
2. Crumble sausage into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over pizza dough. Place mozzarella slices evenly on top of sausage. Next, layer pepperoni slices evenly over top of sausage and cheese.
3. Heat olive oil in skillet. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes (drained well) and tomato paste. Stir in oregano, salt, fennel seed, garlic powder and pepper. Cook till warmed through and any liquid is cooked out. Spoon over sausage / pepperoni layer. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown and melted and the crust is brown and cooked through. Let set for 10 minutes to setup and cool slightly.