Chicken With Tabbouleh
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 whole bone-in skin-on chicken breast (2 split)
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 hothouse cucumber unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Place the bulghur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.
This recipe yields 8 servings.