- 3 roasting chickens - (5 lbs ea)
- 3 large yellow onion unpeeled, halved
- 6 carrots unpeeled, halved
- 4 celery stalks with leaves cut into thirds
- 4 parsnips (optional), halved, and unpeeled
- 20 fresh parsley sprigs
- 15 fresh thyme sprigs
- 20 fresh dill sprigs
- 1 head garlic unpeeled, and halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16- to 20-quart stockpot. Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours.
Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids. Chill the stock overnight. The next day, remove the surface fat. Use immediately or pack in container and freeze for up to 3 months.
This recipe yields 6 quarts.