Broccoli Cheese Soup
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 5.7 g
Cholesterol: 15.6 mg
Sodium: 706.8 mg
Total Carbs: 17.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g
Protein: 12.3 g
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch of Broccoli (using florets only)
- (can substitute 1 (16oz) bag florets)
- 2 1/2 cups 1% reduced fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz. light processed cheese cubed (Velveeta light)
Heat a large nonstick saucepan with 1 Tbsp olive oil over med-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to med; cook 10 min.
Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
Makes 8, 1cup servings