Boursin Creamed Spinach
Pretty easy to make and you can make ahead!
- For the spinach filling:
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 4 T all purpose flour
- 2-3 cups milk
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Almost two big tubs Boursin Garlic and Herb cheese (Lite is fine), approx. 11 oz. each
- 4 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of moisture (10 oz pkgs)
- 6 T grated parmesan
- 3 t coarsely grated lemon zest
- Salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, ground nutmeg to taste
- For the crumb topping:
- 1 2/3 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs (I pulverized some bakery bread stuffing mix)
- 3 T unsalted butter, melted
- 3 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to tasted
Preparation time 60mins
Preheat oven to 425. Coat a 2.5 quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
Saute onion in butter in a saucepan over medium heat until soft, 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat onions, cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer sauce for 1 minutes.
Stir in Boursin, a little at a time, until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.
Add spinach, parmesan, zest, and seasonings. Put in prepared baking dish.
Combine crumbs, melted butter, oil, salt and pepper. Top spinach with crumbs, pressing to adhere. MAY BE MADE AHEAD TO THIS POINT AND COVERED/CHILLED UNTIL READY TO BAKE.
Place dish on baking sheet and bake until crumbs are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, 20-25 minutes.