Saucy Lemon Ribs
- 2 lbs (1 kg) pork back ribs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and black pepper
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each ketchup and brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each dry mustard and chili flakes
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 315mins
1. Cut ribs into 3- or 4-rib serving-size portions. Place in bowl of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, turning to evenly coat. Add half of chopped celery and half of onion. Cover and cook on high setting 5 to 6 hours or low setting 7 to 8 hours, until tender. Turn meat halfway through.
2. Before serving, melt butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining celery and onion. Stir often until soft, about 5 minutes. Whisk in vinegar, ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard and chili flakes. Remove seeds from lemon slices and add slices. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Or make sauce ahead and refrigerate up to 2 days. Reheat before using. Place ribs on a large platter or plates. Drizzle with warm sauce. Terrific with mashed or baked potatoes.