Grilled Eggplant Involtini
- 1 large, firm eggplant
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO for brushing eggplant, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 slices speck (smoked dry-cured ham) or prosciutto di Parma
- 3 - 4 cups baby arugula or baby kale
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high.
Trim the ends off the eggplant, then cut lengthwise into 8 long, thin (1/8 to 1/4 inch) slices. Salt the eggplant liberally and let drain on a towel about 10 minutes; pat dry. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with EVOO and season with pepper. Grill until tender and charred in spots, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a work surface.
In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, grated cheese, walnuts, thyme and lemon zest; season.
Layer each eggplant slice with the speck, then spread with the cheese mixture. Top with the greens, tomatoes and onion. Roll up, transfer to plates and drizzle with EVOO.