Chicken Cordon Bleu Burger
First made 11/25/12. Great.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 5 T. finely chopped shallot, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme, divided (I have used dried powder)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup finely diced ham
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 small slices pumpernickel bread or 4 large slices, cut in half, toasted
- 12 large leaves spinach, tough stems removed
Adapted from Eatingwell.com-May
1. Preheat grill to medium high. Stovetop variation - Coat a nonstick pan, cast iron or grill pan, with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees. About 4-5 minutes a side.
2. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, 1 T shallot and 1/2 tsp.thyme in a small bowl.
3. Place the remaining 4 T. shallot, remaining 1 tsp. thyme. chicken, ham, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without over mixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
4. Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 165 degrees, 4-5 minutes per side. Top each burger with cheese and cook until melted, 1-2 minutes.
5 Assemble the burgers on toasted bread with the herb mayonnaise and spinach.