Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons conola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 large garlec clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce to bag; seal. Marinate at room temp for 30 mins. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Place 1/4 cup cornstarch in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Add chicken to cornstarch in dish, and toss chicken to thoroughly coat. Shake off excess cornstarch.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of coated chicken; saute for 6 mins or until done, turning to brown. Remove chicken from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat the procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and coated chicken.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, honey, and next 3 ingredients (through sambal oelek) in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Microwave at HIGH for 1 1/2 mins or until slightly thick, stirring twice. Stir in garlic. Combine soy sauce mixture, chicken, peanuts, and celery; toss to coat chicken.
Toast tortillas under a broiler or on a griddle until lightly blistered, turning frequently. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates; divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each taco with green onions and bell pepper strips; serve with lime wedges