Cheesy Southwestern Meat Loaf
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 TBSp brown sugar
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into rough pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds 80 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 cup Shredded pepper jack cheese
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine salsa and sugar in saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
2. Process tortillas in food processor until coarsely ground; transfer to large bowl. Add beef, cilantro, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper to bowl and mix until combined. Form mixture into four 4x3 inch oval loaves.
3. Heat oil in large oven safe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook loaves until well browned, 3-5 minutes per side. Spoon 1 TBSP salsa mixture over each loaf, transfer skillet to oven, bake until salsa mixture is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle loaves with cheese and continue to bake until cheese is melted and meat registers 160 degrees, about 45 minutes longer. Serve, passing remaining salsa mixture at table.