- For the dough:
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 oz of unsalted butter cut into 12 pieces, fresh out of the fridge
- 1 egg
- 4-5 tablespoons of water
- 1 egg, beaten with a little milk
- For the filling:
- You'll need:
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1-2 tbsp flour
- 4 oz chicken stock
Adapted from empanadarecipe.org
For the dough:
1. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl or food processor.
2. Add the butter, egg and water and mix until it forms into a single
lump of dough. No especially vigorous kneading is required.
3. Roll into a ball and place in the fridge for about half-an-hour.
4. Roll out the dough on a cutting board and cut out discs around a
small plate or with an appropriately-sized cutter.
5. They can be used immediately or refrigerated/frozen for later.
For the filling:
1. Sauté the onion for a minute then add the garlic and chicken and cook
for about five minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned.
2. Add 1-2 tblsp flour an cook for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken stock and carrots and simmer for ten minutes.
4. Add potatoes and simmer for five minutes..
5. Add the green peas, then simmer for another five minutes.
6. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
6. Turn off the heat, and set aside. Let cool.