Jillian Michael's Low Calorie Brownies
86 calories each without walnuts and chocolate chips, 136 calories with walnuts and chocolate chips
Adapted from Jillian Michaels
- Non-stick olive oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup mild honey like clover or orange blossom
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder like Ghiardelli
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour like King Arthur Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment and spray with olive oil.
Measure the honey into a deep-sided small bowl and microwave on high power 45 seconds. Whisk in the cocoa powder and let cool.
Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
In a large bowl whisk applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla together until well combined. Whisk in the cooled honey-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until all the flour is incorporated. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips if using.
Add the batter to the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges and a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes or 30 minutes if you added walnuts and chocolate chips. Don't over bake.
Cool the pan on a wire rack. Once cool refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. Remove the brownies using the parchment to a cutting board and slice into 16 squares. For clean cuts wipe the knife clean after each cut and dip in hot water. Store in an airtight container in a cool place 3-4 days.