Stout Chocolate Cake
10 servings. Makes 2 1\2 c chocolate ganache frosting. Makes 2 c cream cheese frosting.
- 1/2 c butter , softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c cake flour
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 11.2 - 12 oz bottle dark beer or stout
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting (recipe follows)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Milk, semisweet or dark chocolate curls
- Chocolate ganache frosting: 1 3/4 c heavy whipping cream, 12 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped & 1 t vanilla extract.
- Cream cheese frosting: 4 oz cream cheese, softened; 4 T butter; 3 c powered sugar; 1 t vanilla
Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter at med speed with electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars beating well. Add eggs 1 at a time beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
Combine cake flour & next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternatively with beer, beginning & ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into 3 greased & floured 8 in round cake pans.
Bake 25-28 min until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 min.; remove from pans & cool completely on wire racks.
For chocolate ganache: Heat cream in pan over med low heat. Remove from heat; add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate 2-3 hrs until firm.
For cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese & butter until creamy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar at low speed until blended. Beat in vanilla. Beat at high speed until light & fluffy.
Spread Chocolate Ganache Frosting between layers & op top & sides of cake. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cake. Garnish if desired.