- 1/4 pound unsalted butter - (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion - (2 onions)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Defatted turkey drippings plus
- chicken stock to make 2 cups heated
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
In a large (10- to 12-inch) saute pan, cook the butter and onions over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Don't rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well-cooked.
Sprinkle the flour into the pan, whisk in, then add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock mixture and Cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened. Add the wine and cream, if desired. Season, to taste, and serve.
This recipe yields ?? servings.