Pumpkin Coconut Oatmeal Bars
October is the month for pumpkins, so try a truly unique dessert recipe that’s a delightful twist on classic pumpkin pie. Sweet layers of oatmeal, cinnamon, pumpkin and coconut will appeal to the whole family and best of all, it’s a portable treat you can eat with your hands!
- 125 mL (1/2 cup/1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 250 mL (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 mL (1 cup) quick cook oats
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp.) cinnamon
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp.) salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250 mL (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 250 mL (1 cup) brown sugar
- 1 can (425 grams/15 ounces) pumpkin
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 15 mL (1 tsp.) cinnamon
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp.) nutmeg
- 250 mL (1 cup) shredded coconut
Preparation time 15mins
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. Combine the crust ingredients in a mixing bowl until evenly mixed.
3. Press the mix into the bottom of greased 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm (8” x 8”) pan.
4. Bake for 10 minutes to precook and firm up the crust.
5. Combine all filling ingredients and pour over the warm crust. Return to oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until toothpick placed in centre comes out clean. Baking times will vary for different ovens and altitudes.
Tip: Try using parchment paper in the bottom of your pan in addition to greasing to help release the bars easier and prevent the crust from over browning. Once you’ve pressed the crust into the pan, try poking it with a fork to keep it from cracking.
You'll also love
- Nana's Walnut-Raisin Bread Pudding... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Carrot Ginger, Coriander Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlic Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut squash & risotto 5/5 (1 Votes)
- White Chocolate Cherry Bars 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Acorn Squash 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp 5/5 (1 Votes)