Herb And Apple Stuffing
- 16 cups one-inch bread cubes (white or whole wheat - 2 baguettes)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups medium-diced yellow onion - (2 large)
- 2 cups medium-diced celery - (3 large stalks)
- 2 Granny Smith apples unpeeled, cored, and large diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds toasted, (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Put the bread cubes on a 13- by 18- by 1-inch baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 7 minutes.
In a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onion, celery, apples, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes, until the mixture is soft.
Combine the bread cubes and cooked vegetables in a large bowl and add the chicken stock, and almonds, if desired.
Place the stuffing into the main cavity of the turkey and into the neck of the bird. I cook a 12-pound turkey for 2 1/2 hours at 350 degrees in a preheated oven. Make sure the stuffing in the cavity is secured by wrapping the legs tightly with string.
This recipe yields ?? servings.