Char-Grilled Rack of Lamb with Cinnamon and Cumin
The smoky flavours of the marinade meld beautifully with the lamb and the bold Mint Mojo. A rack of lamb is a pricey cut of meat, so be sure not to overcook the chops; ideally, they should be a rosy pink in the centre. — Isabel Cruz
- 1 tbsp plus 1/2 cup (15 mL plus 125 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ancho chile powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ground coriander
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)?minced fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28-ounce (796 mL) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)?chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 lamb racks (about 3 lbs/1.4 kg total) separated into chops by your butcher
- Mint Mojo
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh mint
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 11/2 tbsp (22.5 mL)?lemon juice
- 11/2 tsp (7 mL) sugar fr
Adapted from thespec.com
Heat the 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the chile powder, cinnamon, coriander and cumin. Swirl and stir the spices until they release their aromas, about 30 seconds. Add the ginger and garlic, stirring for another minute. Add the canned tomatoes and 2 tsp (10 mL)?salt. Cook the mixture at a low simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
Transfer the tomato mixture to a blender or food processor and purée. Blend in the honey, cilantro, and 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil and process until smooth.
Pour the tomato mixture into a glass baking dish, add the lamb chops, and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or, preferably, overnight.
Remove the chops from the refrigerator 15 to 30 minutes before grilling. Preheat your grill to high.
Place the lamb chops on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Transfer the lamb chops to serving platter, drizzling each one with Mint Mojo.
Combine the cilantro, mint, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and sugar in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse to a pesto-like consistency. Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Mix well before using.