Grilled Tuna Nicoise Platter
- 8 one-inch-thick fresh tuna steaks - (abt 4 lbs)
- Good olive oil as needed
- Kosher salt as needed
- Freshly-ground black pepper as needed
- 3/4 pound French string beans (haricots verts) stems removed, and blanched
- 1 recipe French Potato Salad (see recipe)
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes - (6 small) cut into wedges
- 8 hard-cooked eggs peeled, and cut in halves
- 1/2 pound good black olives pitted
- 1 bunch watercress or arrugula
- 1 can anchovies (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 10 tablespoons good olive oil
To grill the tuna, get a charcoal or stove-top cast iron grill very hot. Brush the fish with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill each side for only 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. The center should be raw, like sushi, or the tuna will be tough and dry. Arrange the tuna, haricots verts, potato salad, tomatoes, eggs, olives, watercress, and anchovies, if used, on a large flat platter.
For the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Drizzle some over the fish and vegetables and serve the rest in a pitcher on the side.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.