Italian Mushroom Soup
- 6 TBS. unsalted butter
- 2 med. onions, diced to 1/4"
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 TBS. tomato puree or 3 TBS. tomato paste
- 4 c. beef stock
- 6 TBS. sweet vermouth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground Parmesan cheese
Heat 2 TBS. butter in a heavy medium, saucepan over low heat.
Add the onions and cook until translucent.
Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they soften and give off most of their juices.
Add the mushrooms with the juices to the onions.
Stir in the tomato puree and stock.
Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat and stir in the vermouth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese.
You may add some toasted croutons as will, if desired.