Autumn Simmering Potpourri-Homemade
- Substitute for Cardamom pods:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cardamom pods
- For 10 whole pods substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom OR substitute ground cinnamon, or combine half cinnamon and half nutmeg
- Substitute for Allspice:
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Substitute for Star Anise:
- Substitute anise seed or Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed = 2 crushed star anise
Adapted from thelivingvegetarian.com
Add the spices to a small saucepan, cover with at least 2 cups of water, and turn to a low simmer.
Add more water as needed.
Lasts for hours!
The pan will clean easily enough with a soaking in hot water and soap when you’re finished.
You can turn this off, cover, and let cool and reuse multiple times.