French Onion Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow onions halved, and sliced 1/4" thick - (8 cups)
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1/2 cup brandy or Cognac
- 1 1/2 cups good dry white wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups veal stock
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- Freshly-grated Parmesan
In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, saute the onions with the butter and bay leaf for 20 minutes, until the onions turn a rich golden brown color. Deglaze the pan with the sherry and brandy and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer uncovered for 15 more minutes.
Add the beef and veal stocks plus salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, taste for salt and pepper, and serve hot with grated Parmesan.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.