Deep Fried Pickle Poppers
- 8 medium-sized dill pickles
- 8 ounces Havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Oil, for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 packet Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ creamy three cheese cooking sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
working with one pickle at a time, slice each in half to make two shorter halves. Slice one small slice of pickle off of both cut sides of the pickle. Set the small slices of pickles aside.
2. Scoop out the insides of the pickles, being careful not to poke holes anywhere.
3. In a bowl, combine the Havarti cheese and crumbled bacon. Stuff the cheese inside the pickles. Place the small slice of pickle over the stuffing to enclose it inside the pickle. Secure the pickle with two toothpicks. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining pickles.
4. Add the oil to a large high-sided pot and heat to 350ºF
5. Meanwhile, add the egg and buttermilk to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the flour to another bowl. Now mix the panko breadcrumbs, Cajun seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper in yet another bowl.
6. Dredge the pickles one at a time through the flour, coating them completely. Dip the floured pickles through the egg mixture and then through the panko. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining pickles.
7. Once the oil is hot, fry the pickles for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
8. Add the Recipe Starters 3-Cheese Sauce and minced chipotle chile in adobo to a small saucepot. Heat until warm and stir until combined. Serve as a dipping sauce with the fried pickles.