Scampi with Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1/4 cup brandy or sherry
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or seafood stock
- 1 1/2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 lbs Jumbo shrimp- peeled, deveined, with tails left on
- salt & pepper
- a handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped (about 2 TBL
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Ciabatta bread slices, grilled or broiled, for mopping
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil, four turns of the pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, crushed red pepper and fennel seed. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened about 2 minutes. Add the brandy and, using a long kitchen lighter, ignite the alcohol, Turn off the heat and let the flame subside. (if you are using sherry, just stir it in) Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half about 3 minutes.
Add the stock and tomatoes; cook until the tomatoes are heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and simmer, shaking pan occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Serve with bread.