Brussels Sprouts Lardons
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 6 ounces Italian pancetta or bacon cut 1/4" dice
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts - (2 containers) trimmed, and cut in halves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 3/4 cups Chicken Stock (see recipe) (or canned broth)
Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan and add the pancetta. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Add the Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper to the fat in the pan and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the raisins and chicken stock. Lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. If the skillet becomes too dry, add a little chicken stock or water. Return the pancetta to the pan, heat through, season to taste, and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.