Coconut Cream Pie With Pineapple
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8 1/4-ounce) can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour and water; stir with a whisk until well-blended.
Combine 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; mix with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap, and fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap. Fold edges under, and flute. Line the dough with a piece of foil, and arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until the edge is lightly browned. Remove pie weights and foil; cool crust on a wire rack.
To prepare filling, drain pineapple in a colander, and spoon into the prepared crust. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan, and stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add about 1/3 cup hot custard to beaten eggs; stir constantly with a whisk. Return egg mixture to pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove mixture from heat; stir in cream of coconut and extracts. Spoon mixture into the prepared crust. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap; chill until set (about 2 hours).
Remove plastic wrap, and spread whipped topping evenly over filling. Sprinkle with coconut.
You'll also love
- Potato Pierogi 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Turkey Meatballs 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Yogurt and Banana Frozen Dessert 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Tricia Yearwood's Key Lime Cake 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CUPCAKES 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Impossible Coconut Pie 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Baked Tilapia with Spicy... 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Coconut Flan 4.5/5 (35 Votes)