Warm Mushroom And Roasted Pepper Loaf
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread - (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms thickly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 ounces sliced baked ham
- 1 jar roasted red peppers - (7 oz) drained, patted dry
- 4 ounces thinly-sliced provolone cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bread in half horizontally. Hollow out each half, leaving 1/2-inch thick shells.
In a large skillet melt butter. Add white and shiitake mushrooms, garlic, salt and black pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates, 6 to 8 minutes; set aside.
Arrange ham in the bottom half of the bread shell; top with mushroom mixture, red peppers and cheese, cutting them to fit shell, if necessary. Cover with remaining shell. Place on a baking sheet; cover loosely with a foil tent.
Bake until cheese melts, about 7 minutes. Cut into serving pieces; serve with knives and forks.
This recipe yields 4 servings.