Veal Marsala With Mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 pounds boneless leg of veal cut 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup dry Marsala
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced peeled seeded tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons oil divided
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tarragon leaves crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse, pat dry and slice fresh mushrooms (makes about 5 1/2 cups); set aside.
Pound veal between 2 pieces waxed paper until thin. Combine lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Brush on both sides of veal. Dredge meat with flour, carefully shaking off excess.
In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add veal, a few pieces at a time. Cook over moderate heat until brown, about 3 minutes on each side. As the meat browns place in a shallow ovenproof casserole. Add additional oil and butter to skillet as needed, reserving 4 tablespoons of the butter to be added when all the meat is browned.
To the hot butter stir in reserved mushrooms and onion; saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and onion to a bowl.
Stir Marsala and broth into skillet; bring to the boiling point. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles on bottom of pan. Add tomatoes, tarragon and reserved mushroom mixture; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Pour over meat. Cover. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
To serve, arrange meat down center of hot serving platter. Spoon sauce over meat. Garnish with minced parsley, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)