Tamari-Glazed Shiitake And Soy Pockets
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and sliced - (abt 7 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups green onions (scallions) in 2" pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce*
- 1 box soy burgers - (10 oz)
- 4 small pitas - (5" dia) top third cut off
* Or use soy sauce mixed with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
In a large skillet (preferably nonstick), heat 3 teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Add green onions and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute more. Add tamari sauce; cook until liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute; remove mushroom mixture to a plate, cover to keep warm.
To skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Reduce heat to medium; add burgers; cook until golden brown on both sides, about 6 minutes. Remove to a board; cut in 1/2-inch wide strips. Fill pitas with burger strips and the mushroom mixture, dividing evenly.
This recipe yields 4 servings.