Thai Black Rice Salad
I finished the salad off with some cashews and a simple Thai inspired dressing consisting of fish sauce (feel free to use soy sauce for a vegetarian version), lime juice, sugar and of course a birds eye chili for some spicy heat. The salad was nice and easy to make and it turned out really nicely! I enjoyed the chewy texture of the black rice and all of the different flavour, textures and colours came together beautifully. The leftovers were just as good still cool from the fridge as it was when it was when it was still slightly warm from the freshly cooked rice. I imagine that this would also make for a really nice light meal with the addition of some shrimp.
- 1 cup Thai black rice
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 mango (stoned, peeled and diced)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mint (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar (grated or sugar)
- 1 birds eye chili (chopped)
Adapted from ClosetCooking.com
1. Cook the rice as directed on the package.
2. Mix the black rice, red pepper, yellow mango, green onions, cilantro, mint and cashews in a large bowl.
3. Mix the fish sauce, lime juice and zest, palm sugar and birds eye chili in a small bowl.
4. Toss the salad in the dressing and enjoy.