Better Than Ever Tuna Casserole
- 1 (12-oz) package whole grain egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (11.5-oz) cans fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 (5-oz) cans tuna fish, drained and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13'' x 9'' casserole dish with cooking spray.
Heat the oil in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat and sauté the onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are cooked through. Set aside to cool.
Combine the cream of mushroom soup, milk, half and half, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add the noodles, cheese, tuna, peas, onions, and mushrooms. Fold the ingredients together until combined and well coated.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese evenly on top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.