Shiitake With Shrimp And Pork Filling
- 8 ounces large fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed
- Cornstarch for dusting
- 2/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce divided
- 1 tablespoon salted black beans rinsed, and lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup sweet rice wine (mirin) divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces shelled shrimp minced
- 4 ounces ground pork or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Lightly dust insides of shiitake caps with cornstarch.
To make braising sauce: In a small bowl, combine vegetable broth, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, salted black beans, 3 tablespoons of the sweet rice wine and the cornstarch; set aside.
To make shrimp filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine shrimp, pork, remaining 1 tablespoon of the rice wine, remaining 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and ginger; mix well. Spread 2 to 3 teaspoons shrimp-pork filling inside each mushroom cap.
Over medium-high heat, heat a large frying pan; add oil. Fry mushrooms, filling-side down, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add reserved braising sauce; cover, reduce heat and simmer until filling is cooked and shiitake are tender, about 8 minutes; remove cover. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 servings.